Friday, May 20, 2011

Extreme Couponing

I love the show Extreme Couponing. I actually wanted to start couponing a few months before I found out the show was going to be airing. It all started when Brett's Grandma had me watch a few clips online from the Savvy Shopper. I saw how much this lady was saving and I couldn't believe it, but at the same time I never thought I could actually be the type of person who saves up to 90% or more on my groceries. Then Calaigh and I went to our friend Tara Thueson's for a couponing class that she taught at her house. Actually seeing someone I know be successful at couponing and saving tons of money made it so much more real to me. Then I really felt like I could actually do it! So two months go by without me doing anything in terms of couponing. It seemed kind of hopeless and difficult. Then we got here to Stockton and I have so much free time... especially now that Kaden is getting easier to take care of now that he's almost three months old. I decided to give it a try. I got a Sunday paper last Sunday and started clipping coupons. I followed what thekrazycouponlady.com said to do under the section for "beginners". Then I spent probably about ten hours this week printing online coupons and searching the deals. I found the best deals at CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Safeway. So then I planned out all my transaction and what coupons I'd be using and today was the day!

First we went to CVS and got a great deal on a pack of 96 diapers and a pack of swimming diapers. I'm not an expert on savings when it comes to diapers, but I did save about 35% on them.

Then Kaden and I went on a walk to Walgreens because it is only 2 miles away. He LOVES being outside and loves being in the stroller. He just stays awake most of time and looks around. Here's my chubby little boy :)


So at Walgreens I got all of this. Valued at $68.94, I got it all for $29.97! That's a 56% savings. Just those whitestrips alone are worth $34. So I feel pretty good about it. All of the tape was completely free.
 Then Kaden and I drove to Rite Aid. All of this is valued at $42.03 and I got it for $15.26, which is a 64% savings! The Finish dishwasher tablets and the Purex laundry detergent were completely free, and now I have a year supply of toothpaste!
After Rite Aid we went to Safeway. There I got 15 32 ounce gatorades for Brett's lunch. They were $1.69 each and I got each one for $.46. and I got 5 deli meats for $2.49 instead of $4.99. Pretty sweet. I know that a lot of those extreme couponers are paying like $8 for a $600 grocery bill... so hopefully I will get that good in a couple years! I feel pretty proud of my first couponing week. I saved more than 50% overall, which was my goal.

2 comments:

  1. tahnee, your blog is so cute! i love the pictures from Brett's birthday. K, so I have been trying to coupon and save money too. It is exhausting! I am not even close to being good at it yet, send your tips my way please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! Do you use any websites? I learned all I know from thekrazycouponlady.com. It is the BEST!! I ordered the book from the website and I'm learnings so much. The hardest part is trying to save money on actual FOOD... I feel like I can get great deals on shampoo and razors and all that good stuff but cheap food I am still struggling with!

    ReplyDelete